Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fuel For My Anger


Every morning I watch the Today Show.  This morning, it was fuel for my anger.  The first story that came on this morning was a story about the 13,000 babies that are born each year addicted to pain killers.  These poor innocent babies are born into this world with severe tremors and inconsolable crying all because of their irresponsible mothers.  They spend a minimum of a month in the hospital and eventually go home with the same mother that caused their pain.  One mother was interviewed about how she felt guilty that 2 of her 4 children were born with a drug addiction.  Damn straight she should feel guilty.  Don't get pregnant until you get your shit together!  She should be sent straight to jail.   

As a mother your sole job is to protect your child.  As a mother it is your responsibility to take care of your body, your baby’s home for 40 weeks.  Why do these mothers deserve to have their babies here on earth with them and I don’t?   It absolutely breaks my heart that I did everything I could to keep Sam safe.  I didn’t drink, I don’t smoke.  I exercised.  I cut out caffeine.  I stayed well rested.  I avoided all the foods they tell you not to eat.  I read everything I could about pregnancy and the right things to do.  And here I sit on Sam’s due date with empty arms and a broken heart.  The universe is cruel.

2 comments:

  1. Amber,

    I have been following your blog for a while now. My son, Alfy, was born still on April 6. I just wanted to say that while our stories are very different and our experiences different, your words resonate in my heart.

    I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Sam.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon-

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your son Alfy.

    ReplyDelete