Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Relationships


For anyone that hasn’t gone through the loss of a child, being there for someone who has can be a scary prospect.  I’ve been there.  There have been a few people in my life that have lost babies prior to me losing Sam.  Looking back on it, I know I didn’t always say or do the right thing out of fear that I would only make the person feel worse or more sad, or just due to the sheer fact that I didn’t fully understand what they were going through.  In hindsight now, I wish I could go back and do a lot of things differently. 

Sam has brought me closer to quite a few people over the past 7 weeks.  I’ve always valued my friendships and loved my friends and family, but losing Sam has amplified that love.  I feel a deeper love for my family and friends.  So many people have been there for me, loving me and supporting me along the way.  I keep hearing about my strength and courage, but I think it also takes a lot of strength and courage for my friends and family to be here for me during this time when it’s hard to know what the right thing to do or say is.  I’m lucky to have amazing people in my life to hug me a little longer and tighter these days.  I’m lucky to have a best friend that will travel 500 miles to spend a couple hours with me on one of the saddest days of my life.  I’m lucky to have a mom that has been there for me everyday taking care of me, whether in person or over the phone just listening.  I’m lucky to have a father-in-law that will stop at a turnpike stop just to give me a hug and make sure I’m okay (we happened to be driving past each other randomly).  I’m lucky to have a  bestest cousin that will patiently listen to all my crazy rantings and just agree with me and isn’t afraid to ask me questions about what I’m going through.  I’m lucky to have friends and family that will check on me and remind me that I’m strong and can make it though this storm.

Sadly, I’ve also questioned old relationships.  I’ve had my sadness compared to other’s sadness, when there is no comparison.  I’ve felt the deafening silence of no words at all from friends and family I thought I had a better relationship with.  I try not to be angry about these things because it may be they don’t know what to say.  It still disappoints me though and I can’t help but distance myself from these people a little.

I have also distanced myself from friends that are expecting.  I feel intense guilt that I can’t be the friend I should for them, but it’s just too hard.  Even though I’m happy for them, it’s too hard to see the happiness and to see everything that I should have but don’t.  It’s too much of a painful reminder of my loss.  It makes me question too, “Why me?” while they are probably thanking God that they aren’t in my shoes.  Who can blame them either; I would be thanking God everyday for my healthy baby if that were the case and would not wish these shoes on anyone.  My fear is that these relationships will forever be different.  I just pray that one day I’m strong enough to be there for them again.

The most normal I have felt in weeks though was last night.  I had dinner with a friend who is also a baby loss mom.  For the first time I was able to sit down and talk to someone else who knew exactly what I am feeling and has been through similar emotions and fears.  I finally felt like I could speak freely and nothing I said sounded crazy because the friend sitting across the table from me had felt the same emotions.  I have no idea what the future holds for me, but this friend inspires me.  She has shown me that while the pain will always be there; there is happiness and hope in the future.

6 comments:

  1. Amber,
    I found your story on faces of loss. I'm so very sorry about Samuel. I hate that you feel guilty about the D&E. Sweet Samuel knows you loved him. Let me tell you from experience that labor knowing your child won't be alive when he's born is horrible. I understand all of what you are going through and how you feel about old and new relationships. I have distanced myself too from my friends who are pregnant... its nothing they have done, its just hard to watch them so happy with their babies and ours are herein butin Heaven. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    Http://www.stillloved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - I'm so sorry for your loss of Jake. I admire your strength and bravery. Thank you for your kind words and reassurance. I'll keep you, Jake, and Payton in my prayers.

      Delete
    2. Amber you are so very welcome. Thank you so much for the prayers!

      Delete
  2. Dear Amber, Thank you for sharing your story on Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope. I lost my twin girls, Mariah & Juliette a month ago at 21 weeks. I identify with so much of what you have written in your blog. My heart hurts every day at what should still be. Some days I can function fairly well and other days the heartache just knocks me out. Websites like Faces of Loss, blogs like yours and message boards have brought me a measure of comfort to know I am not alone. I am so sorry for the loss of your Sam. I pray you find some peace in the quiet moments. Take care, Jen (I live in Philadelphia too... I delivered at Abington Hospital.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet baby girls Mariah and Juliette. I was supposed to deliver at Bryn Mawr. If you ever want someone locally to talk to please reach out. I've found the path we are on can be pretty lonely when most people don't understand what we are going through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber,

      Thank you! You are right, it can be pretty lonely at times. I have wonderful and supportive friends but it is hard to always say how I am really feeling. It is especially hard at work because not only are there five other women pregnant (I work in an elementary school) - two of them are due the same month I was due. :( If you ever feel like talking please feel free to email me as well: jam5v@yahoo.com

      I hope you have had a good week - take good care of yourself! ~Jen

      Delete