Tuesday, June 5, 2012

New Experiences


Lately I’ve been experiencing a lot of anxiety.  Anxiety over not knowing why Sam died, anxiety that it will happen again in the future, anxiety over strained relationships, anxiety over news of new pregnancies and  births, anxiety over pretty much anything these days especially if it’s something out of my control.  

Exercise hasn’t really helped much.  I’ve thought about seeing a therapist, but considering I’m willing to talk off anyone’s ear that will listen I’m not so sure that would help.  Yoga and massage therapy, maybe?  In my search for a local yoga studio I came across a studio that also practices other treatments in addition to yoga.  One in particular jumped out at me because when I was reading a pregnancy loss book shortly after Sam died the author has a chapter discussing the benefits of this treatment.  At the time it didn’t come across as something that could be helpful to me.  I was still deeply immersed in the shock and denial stage of grief.  Today when I started researching the treatment I thought maybe this is something I am ready to try.

So, I’m taking a total leap of faith and going for a Reiki Treatment on Friday afternoon.  I know this sounds like something I would never try, but putting my faith in something new may be just what I need.

What is Reiki?

Reiki is a spiritual practice developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, which since has been adapted by various teachers of varying traditions. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands on healing as a form of complementary therapy and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional medical bodies. Through the use of this technique, practitioners believe that they are transferring universal energy (i.e., reiki) in the form of ki through the palms, which allows for self-healing and a state of equilibrium.

What happens during a Reiki Treatment?

During a Reiki treatment, the receiver is fully clothed.  The Reiki Practitioner channels Reiki by placing the hands directly on or above the person.  The Reiki Practitioner serves as a clear channel for the flow of Reiki from the Universe to the client.  Reiki flows quite naturally when the hands are placed on or near the client's body.  Reiki assists in re-establishing balance in the body and stimulates the body's own innate wisdom to heal.  Reiki will help to reduce pain, release past and present negative energies, and promote healthy change. It helps calm the emotions, induce relaxation and restore peace. 

There are also five principles of Reiki.  In reading these principles they are all things I need to work on embracing.  

1.        Just for today, I will let go of anger
2.        Just for today, I will let go of worry.
3.        Today, I will count my many blessings
4.        Today, I will do my work honestly.
5.        Today, I will be kind to every living creature.

~ Dr. Mikao Usui

So, until Friday!  I’ll keep everyone posted on how this all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment